Thursday, September 15, 2011

Self imposed importance.

To continue kind of on the lines of where we left off yesterday.  When we realize that the big picture value of all men (meaning all people regardless of gender, race, culture, education, faculties or resources) is equal, then we must begin to accept that it is not all about us.

One of the greatest mistakes that is easy for any of us suffering (or enjoying depending on your perspective) the human condition is to take life personal.  Again, I love the quote from Mark Twain "Do not go around telling the world that it owes you a living. It owes you nothing. It was here first."  Earth, life, consciousness were not created by us.  Because of them, we are!

When we take life personally, we miss out on the blessings of accepting what is already and completely by default omit becoming a participant in our own lives.

Why should we feel the need to imagine ourselves as the center of anything versus just living and participating in the glorious act of living!

Perhaps this is why I enjoy sailing.  To be competent at sailing you have to give up on the idea of control and give into the practice of collaboration.  You cannot control the wind, the water or any of the elements except where control surfaces meet the wind and water.  You learn to work with what is instead of exercising control over something.

Some days I find in my current professional role as a repair shop manager that I let the things that I have no control over cause me substantial stress. Stress is worrying about things you have not control over. So why do I do it? I tell myself that it is because I take it personal to take care of my customers.  In fact that is completely true and still there is nothing I can do about it and no good comes from doing it.  Does that mean that I should not care?  No, of course not.  It means I should not take it personal.

I don't have all the answers. I only know that there is room for improvement and that I appreciate the moments of growth and realization that come from being a participant in my own life.  Join me if you will in living a purposeful life instead of letting life live us.

Today, I challenge each one of you to be a participant, not a bystander passing judgement.  See what happens!  Let me know if there is a difference from doing so.

Peace and great living to you all!

Billy B.

No comments:

Post a Comment